Saturday, November 5, 2011

Encouragement

Encouragement






Well it’s been a rocking fall! I’ve sold 8 paintings in the past couple of months and looking forward to painting and sharing much, much more!

My paintings were hanging at Starbucks in my old Leaside hood for a couple of months- August and September. Then I went off to Ottawa to do a small intimate showing at the Albert at Bay suites in October and today I’ve just installed a few paintings at Starbucks on Yonge St. just south of Lawrence ( a couple of very handsome men helped me hang one I might add). Thank you Universe, on all counts!

Many people have commented on my success as an artist, far from starving! I wanted to share just a bit of my journey and perspective as well as give encouragement to persevere with whatever creative endeavors light you up.
I have shown my work in galleries and that was great and I look forward to doing so again one day soon, but gallery or no gallery, I see the world as my gallery.



I have been painting for 14 years and I had my own business as a fashion designer for 12 years prior to that. I created art with clothing- my medium was leather and shearling and I designed one –of-a-kind outerwear. I moved into painting when my daughter was born and I realized I was most myself in a pair of old tattered jeans and a T-shirt.

I had visions of paintings I wanted to create…and that’s what I began doing. I would paint Dinosaurs and my daughter would crayola the paper-covered coffee table along side of me. We spent many a creative afternoon this way. I donated my first set of paintings, all dinosaurs to the Hospital for Sick Children.

As I was building my creative career, I never thought about how much money I could make. I’ve seen many artists struggle with what their work is ‘worth’ and the wisest thing I heard was, “Your work is worth what someone is willing to pay for it’” And let’s be clear here, Your worth has nothing to do with your work! The other really important thing I learned was that, “Art is in the eye of the beholder”. So Some people will love it and some won’t, but once again, you are not painting for other people…you are sharing your gift, your vision, and the stronger that vision becomes, the more people will be drawn to it.




Now I know there are different opinions on what someone should charge for their art, their service. My opinion is to be open. Negotiate, barter, if someone can’t afford a larger piece, paint them something smaller. At the end of the day, for me, it’s about doing what I love and sharing it with as many people as I can.

So here are some final words of encouragement. Don’t limit yourself to how you might earn a living doing what you love. Just be confident that the world wants to experience your gift. I sell my work in coffee shops, through the internet and on my front lawn! I create events and donate paintings.

If you LOVE what you do and commit to your creative spirit, doors will open. Take risks, if they feel right! For many years I did a neighbour hood art crawl and I discovered that it took too much of my energy, so I stopped. Be original! Set up your own events instead of waiting to be a part of someone else’s. This is your life, if you want to make a creative living; you have to think creatively- of course.


                                              The Katz Kiss  sold


So That’s it…my formula, years of experience, stay positive, be creative about your creativity, share, believe in yourself, let it show up in unexpected ways, don’t give up on yourself.

Looking forward to sharing more with you and thx for stopping by.



Xoxoxo Sharron

No comments: