Sunday, February 28, 2016

X Men...The dysfunction Continues

I’m giving up on men and relationships.  Friendship- ok.   I’ve had it.  Some how I am allowing really strange and unhealthy dynamics into my life and this scares me. The person in my house yesterday scared me- when he stormed out- but he was scaring me before he stormed out...or rather I was growing increasingly uncomfortable with him.

    This happened before about 3 years ago with another man in an even more frightening way- a way that left me shaking in my car for half an hour.  I felt this same discomfort- I can't even explain it- and within minutes he erupted at me and told me to get the f out of his home.  And a year later I went back and became friends with that same person for a time- he had apologized profusely…and I finally realized that this kind of behaviour could not be erased from my being- I felt unsafe with his charm.

     It goes way back.  My first long term boyfriend had an affair while we were going out and I wanted him back- and I stayed with him for two volatile years- in moments where he would talk on the phone for half an hour with this girl- making me feel as if I was crazy for being bothered- or upset.  The good news is I ended up leaving him- for a sailor!

Flash forward...Yesterday…I had been having a phone friendship with this guy- who right from the get go had me feeing a little uncertain.  He called looking for a musical connection and went on to bend my ear for over an hour about himself and his former, female, music partner – who had chosen not to play with him any more…about how he cried having done a single days work in a factory…oh on an on he went.  I told him I would certainly consider musically connecting- I just moved to a completely new community and I’m open to connection especially musical.  So I messaged him the following week giving him times I was available.   He called me –telling me how everything was going OK for him- his sister offered him a place to stay rent free- and a vehicle and a huge tv…etc.   I’m thinking… he has an amazing support system- what the heck is he doing calling me about anything other than music?   I was a bit pissed because he really had presented his situation as dire- like he had no way of earning income and he had to find a place to live and figure out his life…I got caught into his story and felt compassion because I had been a single mom with an 8 year old in tow- and broke, and uncertain of where to go when my ex walked…but I did not have a wonderful sister who was going to take me in.  And I did have to do work at jobs that were extremely hard for me- I had a little person to take care of.

OK I know the story is getting long- thanks for sticking with me.  So this guy- let’s just call him X- he calls and apologizes and says he wants to know more about me and he really wants to be more of a giver than a taker.  The words sound right.  We continue to chat over he next five days…but the conversations do seem to always revolve around him and his former musical partner…and I’m thinking- how can he start something new while he’s still pining over something that is gone…but I ignore those thoughts and we decide to meet. 

He comes over about half an hour late.  I smell alcohol on him. Perhaps it’s from the night before.  He cannot look at me directly- I feel weird.  I attribute it to a first meeting. 
I show him around my place- normally people go crazy for my art- he really says nothing.  We play some music- he is showing me his guitar pedals, and his looping pedal…we play some of my songs and I listen to him play-  can’t for the life of me figure out why a musician this talented is at the bottom of his game.  I’m encouraging and praising… of course we chat more and all I’m hearing about is his former musical girlfriend and his other girlfriends- how incredibly beautiful they were- like models…etc..etc… this is not giving me anything…this is draining me…no woman wants to hear some guy talk about how attractive his former girlfriends are.   He has not given me anything warm or encouraging… I’m thinking…the thoughts are going downhill- I’m disappearing…and I get up and tell him I am feeling very uncomfortable.  Oh and I forgot to mention twice I have invited him to collaborate on musical things and he will not give me an answer…my days of being some sweet receptacle for some guys junk are over. 
  When I tell him I’m feeling uncomfortable and why- he petty much tells me I’m crazy- he says we barely know each other…I guess the 20 hours of phone conversation in which he told me his life story, meant I did not know him…and he stormed out.

Honestly…I don’t care if I’ve know a man for 5 minutes.. I don’t want to hear about his former girlfriends and how stunningly gorgeous they were.  Flashback to this first boyfriend of mine (A music executive) always bending his neck to look at women While we were out- telling me I should feel lucky that he’s interested in other women- means he was alive??  OK the ‘me’ of this era would have walked…

    I am left- once again wondering how I let this person get even remotely near me.

 This is my conclusion.  I do not know how to set the bar of how I want to be treated until it’s too late.  And I don’t know how to fix this because my relationships- especially with my father were molded in a mixed up way where I had to put up with a great deal of abuse just to have a relationship with him. And so I don’t know what is healthy or ‘normal’.   And I realize I have a fault…a weakness that is not serving me…and I have no idea how to change this.

 All I can think of is to stop.  For now- I am done with men and dating.

  I just don’t trust myself.  My picker is broken.


I have had too many strange experiences and I am left each time doubting…myself, my faith…

 I need my strength right now for me- to create the life of my dreams- or shall I say to embellish the life of my dreams- I’ve already began the canvas…and I need positive energy and strength to paint it brightly. 

So my public declaration- I hereby swear off men for indeterminate period of time.

Signed
Me


 ps- this was my February month long project.  It is 5' x 2.5 ' acrylic multi-medium and now placed

facing the wall- I'm not sure my pot has a lid...and all this men stuff is draining me.  I believe in the Big love- but I'm not sure about romantic love...


No comments: