Saturday, June 7, 2014

No More Pedestals

Don’t put anyone on a pedestal…because in essence you are putting yourself down. 

     Sometimes people think, oh wow, Sharron, you’re so talented and so creative, 
and you paint ….

And sing... you are so great!

     OK, how do I know they think this…well sometimes they say it.   it…and you know, here’s the thing- THEY are great too! YOU are great!
We all come forth with gifts and when we are living them, we are great and this greatness is in all of us.


    Here’s why I don’t like being put on a pedestal; It’s a further fall to the ground, the ground where we are all equal.   Being put on a pedestal is being placed into someone’s illusion of us- it’s not real.  They have created a fantasy and when they discover their fantasy of us, is not what they thought it to be, sometimes they bale. (bail ?)  Although, truth be told, I'm certain it's themselves they are disappointed in.

    I don’t want to be anyone’s fantasy; I’d be able to maintain that for about one day, maybe even one hour.   Getting to know anyone takes time.  And I always find there’s a point where they may not be everything you’d hoped, but sometimes they are more, and the only way to find out is go the journey, be yourself, and see if the connection mostly fills you, or not.


    The one thing I do admire in myself is courage.  Perhaps it’s the fact that I left home at 18, mostly because I could not handle living with my father’s violent outbursts;  my dysfunctional childhood gave me courage.  I always dreamt I could create something better I dreamt big.  Somehow, I had/have the courage to move in the direction of my dreams.  I feel lucky in this way.

   Maybe if I had had a perfect childhood, I would have never developed my courage muscle, I would have been so happy and comfortable…maybe even too comfortable to take risks, explore new territory and stay persistent in the pursuit of my passions.  

  
Doesn’t matter, I lived what I lived and the painful parts are all a part of me, who I am today and today, I can say, I know myself.  I am passionate about what I do.  I leave a positive footprint in the world.  I have some wonderful people in my life and I know that tomorrow is a new day where anything is possible.

So next time you put someone on a pedestal, take him or her down and really get to know them.  Let them inspire you to pursue you own passion.  If you love their work, it is wonderful.  Know that they are simply sharing their gift. 

    Wishing you the courage to share yours.
And ps.  Some people have the gift of really being great friends.  (you know who you are xxoo)

With love,

Sharron


   



No comments: